6 fun ways to lose weight
We’ve all seen them – people with a new year’s resolution huffin’ on a treadmill at the local YMCA slogging through mile seven of fifteen. Head down. No smile. Just pure determination. Now, you will never hear me knock determination, drive, or ambition to better your life. And, we all know times present themselves when we must push through life with a steel resolve. You will, however, hear a pitch from me to add some fun. Sprinkle a little joy or excitement into your fitness endeavors and find yourself losing weight without the burden on your back.
As a kid, my dad introduced me to Disney World in Florida. With excitement pushing my body’s gas pedal, I walked throughout the various parks each day. The fun prevented me from realizing how much energy I truly was exerting. Almost unknowingly, I had exercised all day long. At the end of the day, I recall feeling whipped. Needless to say, I slept hard.
As exercise and an appropriate weight contribute to a healthier heart and life, I suggest you undertake one of the following fun ways to get your heart pumping:
1. Play more games. Make your list of favorite sports and games; then, carve out some time. You may consider golf, tennis, football, soccer, volleyball, and even bowling, Frisbee, or horseshoes. Also, try a league or team.
2. Get outdoors. Find a beautiful place and run, jump, hike, bike, or swim. Take the huffin’ on a treadmill from inside to outside with a run through a picturesque park or neighborhood.
3. Home improvement. Fix up, paint, build, or remodel something in your house. In addition, upgrade your yard or landscaping. Gardening sits near the top of my favorites. Last year, I planted a 6 ft x 20 ft garden. From tilling to planting, I earned a fantastic work out. To top it off, I reaped a harvest of tomatoes, okra, onions, bell peppers, and squash.
4. Shopping/Museums/Amusement parks. These speak for themselves – lots of walking. Do some window shopping at the local mall for a few hours. Visit a science or art museum. Or, scream your head off riding roller coasters.
5. Dance. You may say to yourself, “that’s not my thing.” I encourage you to give it a go. Ballroom dancing allows you the opportunity to dress well while exercising. You can also find fitness dance classes. One example, Zumba, combines fitness with Latin dance. As my wife teaches Zumba, I have come to realize the fun to be had with dance.
6. Add in a movie. If you must run on a treadmill, watch a really engaging movie while you do. It will get your mind off the unpleasant part of the experience. Another great idea – stretch and do exercises in your living room while watching.
Lastly, you can add music to your workouts. A playlist of your favorite upbeat music can provide a significant motivation. You may also find excitement with a new outfit, watch, or shoes. Before I wrap this up, I need to nudge you in the direction of good fashion while you exercise. Dress well! Especially in public. Keep in mind people notice your shoes at the gym (the photo above shows my pair of Nike Free running shoes).
I hope these ideas get you losing weight with a smile.
Copyright 2012 Fashion for the average man.