Interview with my barber

March 7, 2012

For as long as my wife can recall, I have groomed my hair a certain way – the standard cut of the last 100 years. Cut slightly short and parted down the side. Nothing spectacular. Clean and simple. Made popular in the twenties, the short cut paired with a clean shave pervaded the masculine style landscape at the time. Despite my hair thinning somewhat over the years, I have managed to keep it presentable.

A few months back, I interviewed my barber Peter. I picked his brain for ways to help the average guy with hairstyling. My first question: “What is the most important thing men need to know about hair?” He explained how most men do not understand the impact products have on hair. Many creams, shampoos, and styling sprays can stress your hair causing it to fall out, fray, and look bad.

Next, I asked about the biggest mistake men make and he again brought me back to use of the wrong products. Moving beyond hair products, he made the point that hairstyles affect a man’s overall look. With so many styles available, a man can add personality to his appearance in a variety of ways. He directed the conversation back to me inquiring about my willingness to try a new hairstyle. Now, I consider myself an open person, but after years of the same style, it took me a brief moment to respond. “Let’s do it,” I said, “what do you have in mind?” He proceeded to describe a more modern cut he would phase in over the next few visits. After a few cuts, we were ready to style…

Incorporate a little styling cream (gentle he assured me).

Sweep the hair in from both sides toward the middle and front.

Push it up in the front.

Viola! A smile creeps across my wife’s face. “I like it,” she said.

A vote of confidence.  I plan to style my hair both ways going forward depending on my mood and itinerary. In addition, I will closely monitor the state of my hair loss as I do not want the styling cream to produce the wrong affect.

In the way I opened a new door for my appearance, I challenge you to contemplate a new look for your hair. I am not saying you have to get a Mohawk or dye your hair pink. Simply put, step out of your comfort zone a little. Flip through a magazine and mentally try on some of the men’s hairstyles you come across. Or, ask your barber for some ideas. At the end of the exercise, you can keep your hair the same if you deem it appropriate. On the other hand, you may discover a fresh new look. If you are considering a change, at the very least you might style your hair differently for a one month trial period. The update may surprise you with compliments.

© Copyright 2012 Fashion for the average man.

1. Sid Leake permalink
    March 7, 2012 1:34 pm

Great article. Thanks for the tips.

2. March 10, 2012 1:05 am

This is a very nice post.

Personally, I have never had a conversation with my barber, but every once in a while I make sure to change styles. Currently, for instance, I’m growing my hair similar to Bradley Cooper’s in The Hangover, you know? Two layers, combed backwards and puffed out on the back to give it depth. It’s great because I can go to work like this and it looks very professional.

I do have a horror story, though. One time, I let my brother’s barber cut my hair. You see, he gave me this long appraising look from all kinds of crazy angles and perspectives, saying he had the perfect cut to accentuate my features. To make a long story story, at the end I looked like a beet. The hair on the sides was super short and on the top it was all spiky and straight. He’s never cut my hair again since.

• March 10, 2012 2:15 am

Ha! Thanks for sharing your haircut experience. It made me laugh.

You sound like you embrace new things. Good for you.

Thanks for your thoughts.

3. March 11, 2012 1:07 am

Like the hair cut. Clean and updated with the times. It’s hard to change a their style we are so used to for so many years. Until 9 years ago, I never cut my hair so short. Then I discovered the personal hair shaver. Great post!

4. March 11, 2012 1:02 pm

The same style, over and over, happens to women too! I am a case in point. 🙂 Oh sure, I have gotten my hair cut fairly short, below my ears, and then promptly let it all grow below my shoulders again. I am 53 now tho, feeling like I need something a bit more mature. But in old lady language, that means PERMANENT short hair. 😦 I don’t like that. UGH.

• March 11, 2012 1:41 pm

Thanks for your openness about your hair. No matter your age, you don’t have to lock yourself into a permanent hairstyle. I am sure if you did a little research you could find something you really like.

I know I have seen women pull off the short cut quite effectively. Thanks for your comment.

• March 11, 2012 5:29 pm

Heck, I’m “old” now, could care less about sharing about my hair. When I was younger, now that would have been another story. 🙂 Oh, I have found things I like, and tried some, just hanging on to that concept of “long, beautiful hair”. 🙂

Very interesting article, I enjoyed it.

5. March 11, 2012 5:30 pm

Oh, sharing is not hard, it is the DOING part that is! LOL

6. March 17, 2012 2:15 am

Great article love it! By the way I like the new look.

7. July 9, 2012 5:28 pm