Easter fashion

April 4, 2012

easter-attireWhat do you wear for Easter? Why is it a special occasion?

My Easter story: As a 10 year old living with my mother and brother in a Tucson apartment, I engaged in life much like any other kid of the 80s. Old school Nintendo (the original first Super Mario, Metroid, Tetris and Pacman!), hours of climbing and wrestling with my brother and friends, movies (Karate Kid, Return of the Jedi, and Back to the Future!), homegrown adventures and invented games filled those days with fun. My single mom created a cozy home for the three of us. At the time, she searched for meaning and purpose.

One day, several Christians from a local church knocked on the door. They told my mother about Jesus Christ, His love for her, and the meaning He longed to give her. She had waited for this very message for years. With joy, she prayed with them starting a new chapter.

Soon, I found myself on the edge of my seat in Sunday School. Stories, stories, stories. They told me so many stories – David and Goliath, Moses, Abraham and Isaac, Jesus and the disciples, Noah’s ark and many more. And woven throughout each conversation, I learned from those wonderful people how much God loved me. With a feeling a gratitude one fine Sunday morning, I decided I wanted to love Him back – to follow Him and His plan for my life. So, I prayed with the children’s pastor and felt the life of God filling my soul. A light turned on in my spirit like the inaugural lighting of a newly built lighthouse.

Thus began a life of many Easter services. While I cannot recall what I wore to those services, I do remember dressing up. Easter means something different to each person. Many people like me consider their moments of transformation when they attend the church service. Others think about egg hunting, chocolate and family memories. It’s a special occasion requiring special attire. For a Sunday service, wear a suit and tie or at least a sport coat and slacks. Attendance swells on that Sunday and most people know to dress well. So if you show up in jeans and a polo, you may feel out of place. Add a dash of Spring with a lively tie.

Spring implies brightness and new life. Moving out of the darker winter months of leafless trees and cold weather, fashion generally embraces the longer days, newly sprouted plants, and brightly colored flowers of Spring. So in response to the changing seasons, start a transition into lighter colored clothes.

If you’re holding an invitation to a picnic and egg hunt, try a more casual Spring outfit. For example, wear white or light tan linen pants with a light colored long-sleeve shirt (light purple or blue look great) and brown penny loafers. Make sure to roll the sleeves up above the elbows. You can also substitute in a polo (try pink).

Relax and enjoy yourself this weekend. Happy Easter!

© Copyright 2012 Fashion for the average man.

1. April 4, 2012 2:13 am

I really liked this story!

2. Sid Leake permalink
    April 4, 2012 2:15 am

Great article. I love breaking out the spring colors.

3. April 4, 2012 10:33 am

What a wonderful story of your journey of faith. I hope we will all remember the reason for this holiday as we look to honor our faith with the things we wear.

4. April 4, 2012 3:36 pm

I like your recommended Easter attire. Like you, Easter is a celebration of Faith and journey for me. Plus it’s my birthday too. I enjoyed your mom’s story. She is blessed and so is her family. I will wear my best attire this Sunday. Happy Easter!

• April 4, 2012 4:35 pm

Happy birthday! Thanks for the kind words and affirmation of my family’s blessings. I do feel very blessed.

5. April 4, 2012 7:41 pm

Thanks for sharing your special time in finding the love of God. Knowing God makes you appreciate the artistic expression He has in nature and it’s fun to add those to our own wardrobe. I like the lavender on you.

6. April 7, 2012 4:00 am

Love the simplicity of the outfit! Thank you for the like on my blog! Come back and visit again!

7. April 7, 2012 4:45 pm

I like the concept of your blog and also that you share your faith. I don’t dress up much (and as a female will never be an “average man”), but church is always a place I insist my family and I dress nicely. Will show my husband your blog! Thanks for checking out the pb bread on food for fun.

8. April 14, 2012 11:25 pm

I am surprised that so many people wear clothes that they might wear to a picnic when going to church. Jeans, flip flops, etc. What happened to “your Sunday best”? Loved your post.

9. April 19, 2012 4:24 am

I love your story of coming to faith. The Lord has put it on my heart lately to get involved in street witnessing. This is a great encouragement for that! God bless.

10. May 5, 2012 4:14 pm

As granddaughter of Tailor from Foggia and daughter of Men’s Clothier, cool.

11. Courtney permalink
    May 10, 2012 11:08 pm

Love the purple shirt…May I add, a well-dressed man can’t go wrong with seersucker in the spring. (Of course, I am from the South, so I may be a bit biased). Thanks for stopping by my blog!

12. May 12, 2012 1:53 pm

We also dressed up on Sundays, and not just at Easter. But Easter was the first time we wore a new spring dress and hat. Oh, yes, we wore hats back then.

13. May 26, 2012 4:23 am

I think I lost in a very cool blog. Thank you for liking my Nick Faldo entry so that I can get to your blog. This is awesome. I never really care about fashion at the first place—but today I have to think about it more than before. I do love the way you share your faith.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to talk about fashion and things about it. I’ll contact you later, and God bless you.