Quality clothing + Bargain = Smart shopping

June 13, 2012

In the 1990s as a poor college student, I found it difficult to get all the best clothes I required. I would come across a nice item and deplete my budget with a single shirt. Unfortunately, I ended up wearing clothes beyond their appropriate lifespan. More appropriately, I should have created a list, a budget, and a plan. In your pursuit of clothes, I suggest you not settle for lower quality due to a limited budget. You have two pertinent options. First, follow the three steps listed below. Second, consider the window shopping approach where you scan the absolute best, then find other similar less expensive brands with quality products (see my prior article Window shopping: generating ideas).

Create a list

To start, figure out what clothes you need to complete your wardrobe and write them down. This will keep you focused at the department store when passing all the wonderful displays.

Create a budget

Now that you have your list of essential fashion items, determine how much you want to spend as well as how much your list will cost you.

Create a plan

Now, take your list and your budget and plan out what you will get. Sort them by priority. Then find each item in a store and wait for it to go on sale or follow the second option above. A few springs ago, I received an advertisement in the mail from Macy’s department store. I flipped through its pages to come across a flowery silk tie I especially liked. However, the tie cost $60 – more than I wanted to pay. So, I waited and dropped by the local Macy’s every now and then. Sure enough, later in the year I bought that very tie for $14.95. Scope out the items on your list and set priorities on the ones you want or need. Then, go out and find those items possibly waiting for them to go on sale if not already affordable.

I hunt bargains quite frequently waiting for the right deals. In fact, just the other day I bought the Cole Haan boots in the above photo at 70% off (Original $228 / Paid $68.50). They caught my eye a couple of months ago, but were not at the right price for me. Every now and then I popped in to look for a sale. Eventually, I snagged them for the right price. For certain things, you may have to tap your patience pencil on the table as they may never be reduced or they may take an extended amount of time to drop in price. As you put this process into practice, you will improve over time. Hopefully, this article has opened your eyes to the potential savings.

For more information about smart shopping, check out my article Finding Great Bargains.

© Copyright 2012 Fashion for the average man.

1. June 13, 2012 7:38 am

Good advice – and equally applicable to women!

2. June 15, 2012 8:55 pm

This is excellent! So many times we just think we can’t have the best but what we need is patience. And patience is always the best.Thanks for proving that to us.

3. artistryjewelry permalink
    June 16, 2012 7:04 pm

WOW! Great blog, especially for the bargain shopper! You are doing a great service for men! I used to have to pick out clothes for my big brother before he went out on dates! LOL!

4. June 18, 2012 7:59 am

Over here in England, men could definitely do with a lot of advice about what they wear. They seem to either not know or not care about what they wear. Perhaps they can’t afford nice clothes either.

• June 24, 2012 11:59 am

I tend to think of England in a positive light regarding fashion. You have Saville Row, Burberry, and the Duke of Winsor. Yet, I do know that anywhere you go, you can find men in need of assistance.

5. June 19, 2012 4:34 pm

Hello! I wanted to thank you for checking out my blog as well as tell you that I enjoyed this post 🙂 I aggree with frenchfry36…the same advice does apply to women and I intend to pass off this information to my fiance who has no fashion skills 🙂

6. June 20, 2012 8:57 pm

Great price for good boots.

7. June 21, 2012 5:52 pm

Thank you for visiting my blog and letting me come across yours. I will recommend your blog to my boyfriend…useful stuff 😀 🙂

8. June 22, 2012 5:21 am

We get bargain shopping opportunities all the time here in New York:). Just had to brag about it… lol

9. June 23, 2012 3:17 pm

thanks for sharing… 😉

10. seamistandmagnolias permalink
    June 25, 2012 4:47 pm

Good advice here and a great price on the boots. They are very similar to my husband’s work boots and we’ve never found them at such a low price!
    Thanks for stopping by and liking my post on hay bale gardens.

11. June 26, 2012 1:08 am

Really interesting and useful advice. Thanks for checking out my blog and liking my post.

12. June 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Hi! Just wanted to thank you for your like on my blog! You have a great blog filled with great advice and I’ll be sure to stop by again. Have a great day.

13. June 28, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks for checking out my blog! BTW, I LOVE these work boots and am seriously looking for a great deal on them. I hope they’re comfortable! Great advice and fun blog, even for us ladies…

Belle

14. September 8, 2012 8:23 pm

We are looking for some of these:) fall is upon us and we have some searching to do Nicely written articles. Now to get him to dress pretty lol

15. strawberryquicksand permalink
    December 16, 2012 4:18 am

I kept waiting for a particular floor lamp to come on sale in Target. It didn’t but in the end I picked up a different one for about fourteen dollars. Not the one I wanted but hey. It lit the room up when required…

• December 16, 2012 4:24 am

There is something to be said for perspective and contentment. Thanks for sharing your experience.

16. February 10, 2013 11:52 pm

Great Stuff!

17. August 2, 2013 9:04 pm

I call myself a sales stalker. Love to shop during clearance time! http://rubyangel711.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/july-sales-stalking/