Suits 101: Target sells suits?

April 3, 2013

suitsYou can find suits in the most unlikely places – like Target and the local Discount Suit Barn. That’s right; you can buy an entire suit for under $99 at these discount stores. But what do you get for that price? You end up with cheaper materials that do not have the desired affect or the stamina for regular wear. Most likely, that suit will be made of polyester and will look cheaper. It’s not worth it. It’s like drinking a fine Champaign in a paper cup. I once bought a suit from Target and found that it looked cheap. I wore it only once. Don’t get me wrong, I like Target and shop there for other things, just not suits.

Nothing presents a man better than a quality suit. You can find many areas to save money buying less expensive materials, but a suit should not be one of those areas. What makes a great suit great? First, the absolute best suits are made of 100% wool. It looks and feels luxurious while keeping wrinkles at bay. However, even wool fabrics come in varying levels of quality. Fabric makers grade wool threads by a number determined by the diameter of the threads. The higher quality threads hold a higher number (200 on the high end) and are created with a smaller diameter. When woven into a fabric, these smaller threads make for a finer suit. A higher count equals a higher price. So, choose appropriately. You should be good with a suit just above 100. In the summer, try suits made of cotton or linen. They feel light while keeping you dressed well.

Second, the best suits employ stitching before glue. Cheaper suits contain more glue and will not hold up in the long haul of life. The problem stems from these fused suits’ reaction to water: moisture, sweat, rain, etc. As it gets wet and stretched, a glued suit can begin to show some warping and buckling. A suit should drape naturally off your shoulders and look in good shape.

Lastly, handmade tailored suits rank at the top of suits you can purchase. The tailor constructs it to your measurements and then modifies it to fit you perfectly. Built with the best fabrics, you will be hard-pressed to find any better suit. As a custom suit requires a sizeable dent into your pocket book, you may want to save this option for the day after your big promotion. In the meantime, a quality off-the-rack suit works almost as well. Just, make sure to have a tailor fit it to you.

With your new suit, you will step closer to conquering the business world. So, make a statement every time you lead a presentation or attend an important meeting. Wow a potential employer in your interview. Do it all in a quality suit. And, don’t forget a quality undershirt purchased at Target.

Also, check out:

Suits 101: 25 occasions for a suit

Suits 101: Elements of a properly fitting suit

© Copyright 2013 Fashion for the average man.

1. April 3, 2013 8:04 pm

If you’re a business man .. and can afford a tailor made suit I truly don’t think any man will go for less or am I wrong ???? If not I can’t understand why … really how men thinks.
    Otherwise I think money is the biggest problem for most men … to be able to afford a tailor made suit, but on the other hand .. that doesn’t mean they should settle with the cheapest.

• April 3, 2013 8:09 pm

Truth is – a man can find a quality suit for a good price if he looks. For example, I have a $1,000 Hugo Boss suit I bought on sale off the rack for about $170. I also have a quality tailor made suit I bought from Indochino.com for a little more than $400. They also threw in a couple of custom made shirts.

Some of my previous posts address finding these bargains.

• April 3, 2013 8:13 pm

Wow .. didn’t know that sale was that generous over there .. here we only get the really old and tacky on sales. Have male friends that goes to Hugo Boss bargain shop in Germany, 2 or 3 times per year … and they get stunning suits and coats for 1/3 of the retail price because the garment hasn’t passed the finale quality control.

• April 3, 2013 8:53 pm

It sounds like there are deals to be had near you as well.

2. April 3, 2013 10:36 pm

I read once that a true bespoke suit will only have button-fly suit pants, no zipper allowed. What are your thoughts on that?

• April 5, 2013 1:28 pm

My initial thought is “Who will be looking at your fly?” When you wear a suit, the jacket covers the fly most of the time as it is. I have some thought about the origin of this. The modern zipper as we know it did not enter the world of clothing full swing until World War I. The modern suit had been around for a few years before then. So, the earlier suit options would have employed buttons more readily. I can see some of the purists wanting to hold to that more original construction. Further, some may want to more fully construct the suit with as little machine manufactured parts as possible (thus removing the zipper).

Interesting question. Thanks for your curiosity.