Throw away your white socks

November 27, 2013

argyle socks 2One Sunday as I sat in church absorbing the sermon, I glanced over to see a man wearing high-water blue jeans with bright white fruit-of-the-loom tube socks on full display as he crossed his legs. Now, I have no problems with wearing jeans in church as long as you go. God does not judge you by your clothes; He cares about your heart. On the other hand, you can look great while participating in worship.

Until my exodus from poor fashion, white tube socks occupied 95 percent of my sock drawer. I wore them with everything except my black suit. That’s right, I wore tube socks with blue jeans, chinos, brown slacks, and even shorts. Now that I know how poorly this looks, I reminisce in pain about all the times I sported tube socks with nice darker colored pants. Sadly enough, I was trying back then. I just did not know the rules.

Here is the starter’s rule (and it can be broken in the right way less than 10 percent of the time): Your socks should match your pants. Blue jeans = blue socks. Tan khakis = tan socks. Nice black dress slacks = nice black socks. In addition, you may consider matching your socks to your shoes. A good pair of socks should pleasantly flow from your pants to your shoes tying the two together.

If you prefer a spicier presentation and have conquered the basic principle of socks, try a little color. Play with various colors such as yellow, blue and red. Just be sure to step back and appreciate the combination before you wear it. If you feel like you have a good transition from your pants to shoes, go for it. Also, try experimenting with argyle and various patterns as you progress. For example, compliment navy blue pants with multi-colored socks (try dark blue, yellow and light blue mixed) together with black shoes. Also, consider this sophisticated combination: tan trousers with red socks and burgundy oxford shoes. This last combo says your style embraces a little panache.

Regarding white socks, match them with white pants. One other consideration, wear white ankle socks with running shoes and shorts. Whatever you do, please avoid white socks as the primary choice for your wardrobe.

Once again, remember to start with matching your socks to your pants. As you build confidence, try new variations.

______________________

Also, as bargain hunting season is upon us, I recommend reading these articles:

Black friday strategies

Finding great bargains

Quality clothing + Bargain = Smart shopping

Be mindful of marketing

______________________

And for Thanksgiving, check out:

Thanksgiving Attire

© Copyright 2013 Fashion for the average man.

1. November 27, 2013 3:14 am

My Hubby is only allowed to wear his white cotton socks to work. I’ve tried to get him nice, grown up socks but he keeps complaining that they aren’t warm or comfortable. At least they’re black.

2. November 27, 2013 2:53 pm

Ooo! Good advice! I never really knew how men were supposed to choose or wear their socks. Time for me to get a few more diff colors for my man

3. November 28, 2013 3:41 am

Agreed!

4. November 28, 2013 1:22 pm

I’ve forwarded this to my boyfriend, the most fashionable man I’ve ever dated. He matches his colorful socks to his colorful tie every day and does a great job of it! I smile every day when he proudly shows off his color coordination. 🙂

5. December 7, 2013 2:18 pm

I have been working on my project called clothes as nonverbal communication recently, and I learned that socks have to match the trousers. I read an excerpt from this post to my huddy, and his reaction was “oh sure, everyone knows that”. Unfortunately, not every one knows that. Luckily, he does. ha ha. Will not have to worry about the colour of his socks any more. 😀

• December 7, 2013 2:20 pm

What an interesting project. Any nuggets of truth to share?

• December 8, 2013 9:20 am

Well, nonverbal communication as such is a very broad topic. My project dealt withe the attire ob job seekers (I did a small-scale study, made an observation of the job applicants at my employer’s office), and scholars, or researchers (carrier specials) that the clothes chosen for a job interview show the attitude towards the company, which leads to a conclusion that if want to show respect, we should choose appropriate clothes. I have also found that less conservative companies prefer less informal attire (no dark two-piece suits are necessary), including IT companies, and the like. But I think such things are already known to everyone 🙂

6. July 6, 2014 12:29 pm

I completely agree! White socks just don’t look good on ANY man..

7. January 21, 2015 3:36 pm

I’ve been meaning to get rid of mine for ages! I’m going on a big sock shopping trip right now!