Dinner date mismatch
A couple weeks ago, I drove my wife out to a nice restaurant for dinner with friends. Walking in and out of the plaza, I started to notice a trend – well dressed women accompanied by poorly dressed men. Once I tuned into it, this glaring mismatch showed up again and again. For example, I observed one woman with a classic summer dress, cute purse, stylish watch and a good pair of shoes. Her date? Oversized polo, shorts, and flip flops! And they were heading into an above average restaurant. This has to end. Please tell me you will stop if this is you.
When you head out the door with your lovely wife or girlfriend for a date and she looks fantastic, put a little thought into how you will escort her. Not only will she appreciate your style to accompany her, but she will feel more valued for the effort. To help you along, I offer you five outfit ideas:
1. Dressed up casual – Dark grey or blue jeans, a fun/wild shirt (i.e. green flowers), and a light tan sport coat, brown belt and brown loafers.
2. Laid back and stylish – Dark blue jeans, polo shirt (color of your choice), dark colored cardigan unbuttoned with sleeves pushed up above the elbows, and your favorite pair of Converse Chuck Taylors.
3. Outdoor event – Light tan linen pants, long sleeve shirt with sleeves rolled up above the elbows (tucked in), boat shoes or loafers (with belt matching the shoes).
4. Fine dining – Grey or tan slacks, an awesome pair of brown oxford shoes, a crisp white or light blue shirt, and a navy blue sport coat. Add a tie depending on the occasion.
5. Ultra summer casual – For the evening walk on the beach or that historical outdoor day trip with equally historic barbecue. Wear well-fitting light colored shorts (read Shorts made easy) and a darker colored linen long sleeve shirt with sleeves rolled up above the elbows along with a casual boat shoe and no socks or no-show socks. You can also throw on a classic black crew neck t-shirt if the occasion warrants it.
These represent just a few of the options at your disposal. Really, you can create any outfit you like as long as you stick to the basics of style discussed throughout this blog. One thing, I do recommend finding a way to wear pants on your date. It’s more intentional than shorts. For your date, give your style at least a teaspoon of thought. Don’t just grab your favorite worn out polo and the nearest pair of shorts. If you find yourself staring into your closet with a blank stare, try one of the outfits listed above or ask for your date’s advice (except for first dates). Women tend to have a decent eye for style. Oh and one more thing, notice your date’s outfit and comment positively. And have fun!