Why suit fit is so important

October 30, 2014
The Duke of Windsor in 1945

The Duke of Windsor (on the left) in 1945

When I see a great suit walk by, I take note of all the things that man is doing right. I notice the coat that lies smoothly on his chest, the ½ inch of shirt cuff and ½ inch of collar showing, and the length of the pants extending to just above the heel. And I’m not the only one, many people notice. They may not be able to put into words why the look stands out, but it does. If you make it a point to adjust your suits to fit well, you will garner attention as well. Adjusting a suit for fit is one of the most necessary changes you can make.

Think of your camera taking pictures. You may have thought to include all the right people arranged perfectly, but if you snap the shot out of focus, you ruin the whole photo. Proper suit fit is the detail that brings everything into focus. Too tight can give the impression you are busting at the seams and outgrowing your clothes. Too baggy says you walked into a store and picked the first suit you saw. Look for the sweet spot in the middle. It’s so important because you could spend $2,000 on an awesome quality suit and look like you missed it big. In fact, an improperly fitting suit of quality appears worse than a properly fitting suit of less quality. The concept of a suit tailored specifically to you is not new. Look back through the fashion archives and you will find men like the Duke of Windsor with an especially keen eye for this.

Achieving proper fit is relatively simple. First, know your measurements. To understand how a suit should fit, read Suits 101: Elements of a properly fitting suit. Second, get a tailor involved. I am frequently amazed at how many men overlook these vital professionals. A tailor can provide you with your measurements. Just ask them to whip out a tape measure and write them down. They will also know how to alter a suit to get you to the sweet spot of fit. And most likely, you have one down the street. If you live in the city, you probably drive by a tailor a few times a week. So, search one out on google or ask a friend for a recommendation.

Pay attention to details as your suit must shine the best possible light on you – better than any other clothing purchase. When an occasion calls for something special, men wear suits. When men deal with serious business, they often break out their best suits. When they want to look their best, they wear suits. Really, anytime a man wants to show the world he addresses his affairs the way he dresses, he wears a suit. Simply put, Suit = Best foot forward. So if a suit stands at the pinnacle of a man’s presentation of himself, why not get every little detail right? Why not make sure it fits perfectly?

© Copyright 2014 Fashion for the average man.

1. October 30, 2014 5:37 pm

Reblogged this on Breaking The Think Tank.

2. October 30, 2014 5:42 pm

“When I see a great suit walk by. . .”

This statement says it all. First we see the suit, then we meet the man.

Excellent post.

• October 30, 2014 9:07 pm

Yes you are right. You know, Cary Grant is said to have quoted his father as saying “Let them see you and not the suit. That should be secondary.” That sounds like a discussion in itself to be had. Thanks for reading.

3. October 31, 2014 11:04 pm

I absolutely loved reading this. I think every man should have a great suit in their closet. At least one.

4. November 10, 2014 5:12 pm

What a great article. I don’t have many suits, but when I bought them, I bought them from a great place that fitted me just right and I feel so much more confident in my suits because of it. Yeah, I could go buy one off the rack, but it will show. I work at a place that is Business Formal everyday and you can see those that don’t care or don’t know all over the place.

You hit the nail on the head too that a lower cost suit will look better than an expensive one any day so long as it fits right.

Now if I could just keep my weight right so my suits always fit the way they should when I first bought them. 🙂 Again, great article.

• November 10, 2014 5:16 pm

Sounds like you have the perfect environment to look great every day. Thanks for reading.

• November 10, 2014 5:44 pm

I constantly see guys buttoning their suit coats wrong or not unbuttoning when they sit. It’s weird. So, what are the official rules regarding buttons. I know what I’ve been told, but I’m interested if I’m right. 2 button gets the top buttoned only, 3 button gets the top 2. Sit down, unbutton. Stand button (though this seems a little more flexible now days)

• November 12, 2014 2:42 pm

You have it right. For 3 button, some like to only button the middle. Buttoning the top 2 works as well. Regarding standing/sitting, I say to always keep it buttoned when you are standing. It just looks better. When you are sitting, I don’t think it matters – unbuttoned is a little more comfortable.

5. November 19, 2014 1:45 pm

Now I understand the term ‘A full Monty”, finding a suit that suit you is really an art 🙂